Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The Walking Dead 616..... Was it the show itself that Negan beat to death?

So it's  Tuesday,  almost  a full two days after the  season  finale.   I've had time to assess some thoughts,  read  some opinions and  come to terms with my own feelings on the  matter.
So here they are.
After watching the  616 finale I was  incredibly disappointed. I think my first text I sent to my  friend and  coworker went  something  like this :  FUCKING BULLSHIT.  and the credits hasn't even finished rolling.
So how is it a show is allowed to build you up to such a frenzied crescendo,  only to leave you high and dry?
Well,  if  can't.  Not really.  TWD did this in previous seasons and twice in one season this year.   Scott Gimple immediately stated right after "it will all be worth it,  it will all be worth it".   Problem is he's said it  before and  we've been let down before. This episode,  this  finale,  this  cliffhanger felt  more like someone blew their load in your face and  didn't ask first.
As a viewer I wasn't happy with the ending at all.  It wasn't the acting.   As usual it was  very well acted and  put together.  I truly believe all the actors give their all for this show.   They are an  amazing  group of artists who  have come together to create the perfect storm. The problem with  storms is,  eventually,  they blow out. 
I watch  TV a  an escape.  The problem for me was the intense buildup of  the  very  pivotal #100 comic,  then immediate blackout,  which leaves the viewers with no closure to Season 6.  So these thoughts and feelings have nowhere to go. For many they came out as anger. And  understandibly so.   People see this as an investment.   People have invested two hours of their lives,  every  Sunday night in The  Walking Dead.   They have  hosted parties,  bought food,  dressed up,  run blogs,  bought swag,  t-shirts,  dolls,  keychains,  books etc..... Spent enormous amounts of time and  money as a fan of the show.   And their thanks was a blackout #100.  I'm  surprised  shit isn't  burning down.
From a marketing point of view it may be a good strategy. Everyone is talking about it,  social media is blowing up about it.   From a viewer standpoint, it's not. The Walking Dead screwed their fans and pulled out before everyone came. Big no no.
At the  moment of this writing,  angry fans are  drawing  up petitions. Which of itself is a bit ridiculous,  but Scott Gimple and  Greg Nicotero had  to know  this might  happen as a result of their, for lack of a better term,  greed.   
Here are  my  thoughts.  This is how  fans truly get  even. If people are that angry, simply don't tune into the show ever again. DON'T WATCH THE SHOW.  Their ratings will drop. They already are. When the ratings drop low enough the show is gone. BUT, be careful what you wish for. That also puts people out of work. It's not the actors fault, they are just doing their job. And they do it well. It's why we've all watched for as long as we have and why the show is as popular as it IS.
So how pissed off are you? Pissed off to never watch again? 
I've posted my opinions of  616 on social media and  been called  horrible  names,  told I wasn't t a true fan and  a multitude of other things,  by people who  consider themselves to be "hardcore" fans but probably wouldn't actually  survive a zombie apocalypse if it ever happened.    I think it takes an even  bigger fan to  stand  up to the  big  wigs at  AMC and  TWD and  say "Hey  guys,  I think ya  blew it with that one".  
As I said previously,  I watch  TV by  choice.  As  an escape,  a way to unwind.    I have watched this show since day one. I repeatedly watch the episodes.   To say I'm not a true fan is  ridiculous.   But I am  an  adult and  I know when something is  no longer working for  me,  and  this isn't.  In  fact,  I'm  on the  high  end of their  demographic,  almost out of their demographic, and  unlike a lot of  younger fans,  I know when I'm being played for ratings.
I say read the comic. Invest in the  comic.  I had never read comics before this and I LOVE the comic. I already have all the answers I need. And I'm probably a good 3 seasons ahead of the TV show. The good thing is this has opened up a whole new world of  comics and  reading for me and it rocks! So,  If you have the  comic which is what the show is based on,  you don't really  need the show. 
You can only jerk your fans around so many times before people say "fuck it" and bail. LOST is a perfect example. I'd say to everyone at AMC/TWD they'd be well to remember that..... Fans are like zombies, they will turn on you and eat you alive at the drop of a hat.

No comments: